Aug 26, 2008

time standing still






i remember when time stood still when i was little.  summer vacations seemed like an eternity and being a grownup seemed so long out.  i have found that some places time seems to stand still, still: the ocean, the mountains, in the forest, and more recently i discovered, Orcas island.  I am definitely a country girl at heart, and living in the city, regardless of how small, is quite wearing.  everyone is buzzing around at a dizzying pace, uncourteous, and self absorbed.  I miss walking on the side of a road, rather than a sidewalk, i miss apple trees by the road, i miss horse noses, ferns, dogs that dont have to be leashed up and can run freely, i miss discoveries, i miss the smell of the sound from the purdy spit, i miss well water, campfire at the beach (where you stink like high heaven the next day from the driftwood, and shooting stars.  It has been 10 years in tacoma, and although i love the gritty city, it has been long enough.  so, part of my five year plan is to get the heck out of dodge, not far away, but just far enough to see a shooting star again.  I have this dream of having a small family farm and do garden designs and installations on the side.  i will have to really get down and dirty, but it excites me to think of where this goal will take me.  My mom said that it is never to late to reinvent your life.  her house on the island, where time stands still, is such a dream. I thought that she was taking such a risk buying property on the island.  I have discovered that I am not a risk taker and that I did not want to imagine the idea of my mom moving away.  but instead it taught me that i need to take some risks to find out what there is out there.  so when i visit her, I love to sit and read, take a walk on a beach, or a short walk to town for coffee, a trip to the exchange for a treasure and best of all there is not one traffic light and everyone seems to abide by some of the basic traffic laws (like not passing on the right on a two lane street)hmmmm.  i cannot wait until my next trip up.  i can dream of where i create my space where time will stand still.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel so fortunate to have most of those things where we are. Sometimes (often) I take them for granted. There are some wonderful perks to living in the city, but I'm so glad to have moved back out here (except that when I walk on S Vaughn Rd, I almost get run over). You're mom's place is magical. I hope I get to visit it again soon! Cheers to dreaming big. And making it happen!!

corylk said...

Love the dream! You are so talented Kate! You can accomplish your dreams. And they better include a goat!

One Love Photo said...

Oh,this made me tingle and wonder..is there any country girl left in me? You are so so talented and once you decide your path it will all fall into place. It may be a little curvy at times but that is what will make it interesting. Now you've got me thinking about my five year plan. I really want a rustic cabin by the sea......Love YOU! and miss you.